Falling Spares

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Falling Spares
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:54:18 -0000
There is another disadvantage to underneath-mounted spare tyres. This is one
I personally experienced.

Spares mounted under the rear are vulnerable to theft.

A few years ago, I parked my car in a car park in Wellingborough
(Northamptonshire) and when we returned to the car, my wife pointed out that
something was hanging down from the rear of the car. It turned out to be the
basket that supported the spare. The bracket that should have held the open
edge of the basket up to the car had been forced.

Despite a witness haveing previously reported the theft and the police
having a good idea who it was, about 6-12 months after the incident, the
police notified me that they had been unable to do anything. And they wonder
why people don't have much confidence in the police any more....

Regards,
Simon