Re: Winter oil

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: John Cahoon <j_cahoon@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:59:44 -0800 (PST)
Carl & list

I have worked as an 'oil' chemist for 27 years.  Under
NO CIRCUMSTANCES could you convince me to use a 5W-30
or any other 5W oil in my own vehicle.  5W oils were
developed to give the car manufacturers a boost in
their testing programs for economy, etc.  They are
much poorer on wear than higher viscosity oils [I have
seen many test results to support this statement].

A good 10W-30 [10W-40 is OK] would be a better choice
for most winter uses in the USA.  Alaska could use the
5W but not the rest of the country.  DIPSTICK heaters
are still sold and could be used as well.

In a warmer climate, try one of the 15W-40 oils that
are sold for diesel engines if the 20W-50 is too thick
to let you start up with reasonable oil pressure.

John Cahoon
74 MGB
70 MGB
72 Midget