Re: Winter oil

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:04:31 -0800
Dave:

<<<snip>>>
One of my favorite topics. Actually I find the lower radiator hose heater
to be fairly efficient, at least in terms of getting the job done.
<<<snip>>>

Lower radiator hose heaters do take twice to three times the electric current
as do
the soft plug heaters.  Another consideration is the extension cord used and its
current capacity.  I've seen light ones fried even in the winter while lying on
snow.  I am not a tree lover, but I don't like to see energy and materials
wasted.
So, I tend to not choose the brute force method or what I think is wastefull in
making many of my decisions.

Another consideration is where the heater is located in the hose.  It needs to
be
as close to the engine as possible and where the hose is verticle.  If the
heater
were installed in the lowest point or where the hose would happen to rise
towards
the radiator, the heated coolant will rise into the radiator and not the engine
where it's needed most.  Some installers have no concept that hot fluids rise!

Blake