Re: Winter oil

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:02:32 -0800
Now engine heaters.

Now here is another topic to create a little discussion.

FWIW:  I know of four different types of engine heaters:

1) Headbolt.  Used by removing a headbolt/stud which was located so that the
bolt went into the water jackets.  Probably went out with Model A's and other
flat head engines.

2) Dip Stick.  Easy installation, but it only heats the engine oil IN THE
SUMP.   How does it heat the engine as the oil is not circulating with the
engine off.  The oil on the pistons and bearings is not heated.  The heat in the
oil would only travel by convection through the sump walls to the rest of the
block, or by heating the air in the sump above the oil.

3) Lower radiator hose heater.  Not very efficient as you're heating the water
which passes through the radiator and gets cooled.  Also, remember that the
thermostat is closed until the water gets to operating temperature.  Soooo, how
does the heated water get into the engine block?  These units are quite large in
electrical consumption, some being as high as 1500 watts.

4) Soft plug heater.  IMO the best of the heaters.  The are usually low in power
consumption: 350 to 500 watts.  They heat the water in the block which also
warms the oil on the piston rings.  I believe piston drag would be much greater
than bearing drag.  The bearings may get some heat.  Basically, they warm the
engine from the inside out.  The warmed water around the heater rises in the
block into the head, cools, and probably returns through the water passages near
the front and rear of the block.  I've used them on many vehicle and they make a
bid differenece.

Blake