Re: Tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tools
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:45:43 -0600
In a message dated 12/6/00 10:35:28 PM Central Standard Time,
microdoc@apk.net writes:

> My Craftsman tools have served me well for nearly 40 years ....

Well, I'm inclined to believe that they really don't make them like they
used to.  And I am very happy to own one of the older ones.  My 1/2" drive
Craftsman socket set is only 32 years old, but has been constantly abused
in ways most folks wouldn't want to talk about in public.  I often use a
1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter to mount a larger socket, sometimes up to 2" size.
 Then I may proceed to haul on the 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe extension
2 to 3 feet long on the handle.  Otherwise I often beat on the handle of
the ratchet with a two pound hammer to loosen stubborn fasteners.  It now
bears about a thousand dings and dimples in the handle to bear witness to
its noble service and abuse.  Through all this it has never skipped a tooth
or missed a click.  Somehow I don't think the new models would fare as well.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg