Re: Tools

To: kingwj@mail.del.net
Subject: Re: Tools
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:32:47 -0500
If I have read your message correctly, IMHO there is a significant difference
in the
warranties of Sears automotive batteries, and those of Craftsman brand hand
tools.
The tale of the DieHard Battery is, I believe, a simple "price adjustment". Most
retailers, including Sears have a policy to make them for 30 days after you
make a
purchase. I have received credits from numerous purchases made at numerous
retailers
including Sears. They usually just verify the competitor's price by phone or by
my
presented advertisement from the competitor. Simple enough.... As for the
Craftsman
exchanges, I am not happy to hear that some of us have been given exchanges that
were refurbished, but does it really matter? Tools get soiled in use; one month
from
now I won't be able to tell which is the new replacement, or which is the
refurbished one, or which is old or which is a new tool when I retrieve one
from my
tool box. I would rather get a new tool in exchange, but when my various cell
phones
have died prematurely, sometimes replacement products were brand new, and
sometimes
they were remanufactured. It really doesn't matter unless cosmetics are
important.
Back to Craftsman for a moment... I will assume that any refurbished tool was
repairable like a ratchet wrench, but doubtfully a screwdriver or a socket. the
customer service desk does not have refurbished replacements for every Craftsman
hand tool: only those for which there is a high demand for replacements, and for
which a refurbishing program is practical. I will pick out a pair of tools, one
rebuildable and one not, and give Sears a replacement try. I'll report back
forthwith.

Jim