Fuel Pump Questions

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Questions
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:56:58 -0600
Yesterday I was going to move my son's 79 B outside to start wet sanding it
in preparation for painting.  Started up, ran for a few seconds and died.
Turns out the fuel pump isn't pumping.  I have 12 volts on a white wire to
the pump.  Just before the pump the wire splits into 2 legs, one goes to the
pump, the other to a little blue thing bolted to the body by the same bolt
that holds the pump cover.

First questions, what's the blue thing?

Now to the pump.  The wire goes into the rear of the pump.  When the cover
is removed I see the wire goes into the pump, then comes back out and goes
to a white wire that goes back into the pump, about 1 inch forward on the
left side.  I have 12 volts going into the rear of the pump, but only about
3-4 volts coming back out.  The rear of the pump appears to be filled with
potting compound of some kind, no points visible.  Would this be an
electronic SU pump on a 79 B?  I looked at the catalogs and they list the
points type and the electronic for the car.  I guess that means both can be
used, but which came original?

I have an older SU pump that I'm going to install tonight so I can move the
car around while I continue to get it ready for painting.  I'm not sure of
the age, history of my replacement pump so I'm weary of leaving it in.  My
son is going to have the car at college, so I need it to be fairly reliable,
but I'm also about broke getting it ready for him.  Any recommendations on
which way to proceed would be appreciated.

And for the last question, can anyone tell me where the inertia switch is
located?  I see it on the schematic, but can't find it.

Thanks,

Ken Waringa