Re: Fuel Pump Questions

To: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Questions
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:10:35 -0000
The 'little blue thing' is probably a radio interference suppressor, for the
purposes of testing at least it can be disconnected.  Do you have 12v on the
white when measured against the pump body i.e. is the ground OK?  Are you
sure that second wire isn't the ground and you are seeing the effects of a
high-resistance fault?  I have an electronic pump which has 12v and ground
wires going into it vis spades poking theough the end cap, which is clear;y
marked '+' and '-'.  I would expect any electronic pump, and even one with a
diode, to be marked with the polarity.  Internally my pump has a fixed
Hall-effect transistor and a reciprocating magnet, both relatively clearly
visible when the cover is off.  The points pumps I have seen have the points
clearly visible.  I don't trust electronic pumps, mine has played up a
little, and when one of those starts playing up there is nothing you can do
about it except swap it out, a lot more difficult that givimg the points a
tickle or the pump body a clout.

PaulH.