Re: Brake Calipers Binding, Q3

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Calipers Binding, Q3
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:56:40 -0600
Hi Frank,

  If one is dragging and the other isn't, it's not the master cylinder.
Both would REALLY drag if the MC wasn't releasing the pressure.  As has
been said, a little drag is normal.  Since neither the calipers not the
rotors float, any runout in the rotors pushes the pads away Minutely
when the pressure is released.

  If air got in there since you bled them (is the pedal soft?), I'd
rebleed and have my SO stand on the brake pedal while I checked to make
sure that both pistons in each caliper were actuating.  If that was good
I'd go for a spin and check for a hot rotor afterwards.  If you have
wire wheels you can detect a hot rotor by holding your hand near the
spokes.

  I had the MC fail to release when on the road a hundred miles from
home, heading for the big spring MG GoF in Salado.  I'd had to stand on
the brakes hard when I came over a hill and found some slow movers in
front of me.  Then Her Majesty didn't want to accelerate.  When I
finally found a place to pull over both rotors were hot and creaking.
Reasoning that the MC hadn't released the pressure, I loosened the front
circuit fitting at the MC and got a psst of fluid.  We jumped back in
and went on.  Funny thing is, it hasn't happened since.  Go figure.....
Damn. these cars are fun! ;^)

  Merry Christmas,

  CR