Re: Electrical Gremlin

To: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>,
Subject: Re: Electrical Gremlin
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:56:07 -0500
Did your voltmeter go off the top of the scale?

I had an alternator fail....
it's failure mode was NO regulation and would peg
my voltmeter off the top of the scale.
At highway speeds I'd have to take it out of gear briefly
to drop the engine rpms to get the regulator to
break back in to proper regulation. This was an
intermittent problem. Dropping the revs... got
the volts back down and it would stay .

When it would break out of regulation and the voltage
would go sky high... it's actually the alternator diodes
and electrical contacts degrading.

The little burst of power you felt ... I believe
is from the engine load being removed
(magnetic fields generating power) it feels like a
little burst of power i.e.: like when an A/C compressor
in a car turns on/off  ....you can feel the power in
the engine change.

Do the Delco swap.    :-)

Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com