Re: Electrical Gremlin

To: "H. W. (Sandy) McCullough" <smccullough@quixnet.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Gremlin
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:15:58 -0000
When you say 'the engine surged' do you mean you got a surge or power and
hence accelleration?  Or did the revs rise as if you had dipped the clutch?
Or what?  Can't think how anything electrical would cause a significant
engine power/revs surge.  If you had been running with no advance and that
suddenly came in you would notice it but hardly as a surge.  Did the lights
etc only fail when the surge finished or at the start?  Did the lights get
noticeably brighter at any time or not?

You should have four equally rated fuses in the 4-way block of a 72 - which
two (bottom two?  Top two?) blew?  The fuses can blow either because of a
short on the load, or a massive over-voltage on the supply.  Two blown two
fuses implies the latter, which would have been accompanied by a significant
brightening of any lights.  The head lights don't go through any fuses, only
the 'side' or 'parking' lights - one per side (the top two).  The turn
signals and instruments all go through the 2nd fuse up (white to green).

The tach comes off the green circuit same as the turn signals, the fuel and
temp gauges do go though the voltage stabiliser, which is usually on the
drivers side and has a green wire on one side and a light-green/green on the
other.  There is a 4-way connector behind the dash with one of the wires
feeding both tach and stabiliser, another wire feeds the turn signals.
Chances are there is a problem in the green from the 4-way to the tach (and
thence to the stabiliser).

PaulH.