Turn signal question 71B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Turn signal question 71B
From: Nina Barton <ninaba@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:22:29 -0800
Boy do I feel silly asking this.  My turn signal switch went haywire a
couple of weeks ago, giving me brights when I turned on the turn signal and
not at any other time.  Took it apart, then Christmas intervened, and I'm
just getting back to it.  My question is this:  On the steering column,
there's the wipers switch, a curved metal piece with a spade connector
sticking out of it for a purple wire which actuates the horn push in the
middle of the steering wheel, and another piece of metal which actually
rubs on the inside of the steering wheel (for ground?).  This curved metal
piece has four holes in it.  I believe there are two short screws (3/8"
long) which hold this part in place against the steering column.  There are
two longer screws (about 1" long) which actually connect the turn signal
switch and the wiper switch and hold them tight against the steering
column.  I thought that these two screws went through the holes in the
black plastic part of the turn signal switch and connected to the wiper
switch, but, when I try this arrangement it is too short to fit across the
steering column.  Also, on the old switch, it doesn't look like screws ever
went through these holes, but were just threaded into the ends.  I've
looked in Haynes and Bentley and Clausager and Porter and can't find a
picture to show me how to put it back together.  Anybody familiar enough
with this setup to help this inexperienced mechanic out?  Thanks in
advance,  Nina