Re: Old fuel

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old fuel
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:32:38 -0700
A hazardous waste recycler will take the old fuel - its just a question of
how much they will charge to take it off your hands. It still represents a
waste that would have to be tested to be sure what it is (that could easily
cost $200-$400 just for the testing) and then it would have to be disposed
of, most likely by incineration.

In this case, the water for the most part should be a separate layer. You
should be able to pour off the top fuel layer, treat it with methanol, and
burn it in a gas guzzling car. The water layer can be cleaned just by
letting it sit and letting the gas evaporate over a period of time.
Evaporation is a common way to remove gas from groundwater - actually its
removed by aeration of the water to strip out the volatile components. Not
totally safe from a purist environmentalist stand point but it is the
method in use.

My former 71BGT actually disposed of quite a bit of hazardous wastes in its
day, including a drum of ethylene dibromide. But thats another story. Just
a throwback to my days as an environmental chemist and too many
post-apocalyptic movies.

David Councill