Re: MGA fender mirrors

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA fender mirrors
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:14:23 -0600
At 01:58 PM 1/19/2001 -0700, Larry Hoy wrote:
>I found the following in the Moss MGA catalog.
>
>.... The Lucas style fender mirrors are most effective when mounted on the
top of the fender just above the front axle.  Some people have trouble
seeing the left mirror if mounted closer to the screen. ....

I think I disagree on both counts.  IMHO, a mirror placed as far away as
being above the front tire yields too small a field of view, so you end up
having to look directly at the mirror and squint, which is a bit of a
distraction from the road.  I do however want it to be far enough forward
to be visible through the windscreen glass and not out the side, so I
wouldn't mount it on the door or on the rear edge of the front fender.

The location I find ideal is just behind the wheel arch.  Here, if you
check underneath, you can find an opening of a few inches just behind the
splash pannel but ahead of the inner box section of the sill.  If you
position the single bolt Lucas style mirror on the crown of the fender just
above this point you can reach up from the bottom with a long extension(s)
of a socket wrench to install the mirror without having to remove the
splash panel.  This positions the mirror quite a bit closer so you get a
larger field of view, and it is still easily visible in a generally forward
direction through the windscreen glass.  I also recommend using convex
mirrors to increase the field of wiew, giving you full coverage of the
blind spots on both sides of the car.  Works great for me.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg