Re: Stupid Driver Wiper Problem

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "Martin C. Jones"
Subject: Re: Stupid Driver Wiper Problem
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:06:26 -0000
Martin says "They stop at whatever point they are on the windscreen when I
turn the switch off." and we have to believe him or call him, erm mistaken.

The parking arrangement from 1967 or so MGBs onwards is very different to
the earlier (and presumably MGA also) style.  The plastic wiring connector
mounted on the wiper motor also contains the park switch.  It has a plastic
peg that protrudes through the gearbox casing which rides on the large gear.
The connector/park switch is retained by a spring clip and can be removed by
sliding it away from the large gear spindle.  Unfortunately it seems this
park switch is not available new, although one may be able to find a good
2nd-hand one.  Incidentally mine broke internally recently and it resulted
in the wipers running continuously, I had to pull the arms off till I could
get home and have a look at it.  The same would happen if the park
switch/connector assembly falls off the motor.

The park circuit goes through the manual wiper switch (you can find
schematics on the web site below, select 'Spanners', 'Electrics',
'Schematics' and 'Wipers' - yours should be 'Later two-speed') so if this
circuit is broken anywhere they will not park.

Either some mechanical aspect of the blades sticking caused the park switch
to become jammed, or its just coincidence.

PaulH.