Oil filter choice, a little long

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil filter choice, a little long
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:08:46 -0600
Hi Gang,
  Perhaps this is an old thread.  It it is, please flush
now.
   I belong to a Ferrari list (www.FerrariList.com)
where the topic of recent conversation is oil filters.
The factory recommended brand is UFI.  However,
there has been a run of bad sealing rings on the UFI
filters, although UFI hasn't admitted it, resulting in
SIX of us having blown filters!  I have blown two
filters in my 308GTB.  Imagine 6 quarts of Mobil 1
pumped into your engine compartment in 12 seconds!
The D-ring seal at the filter base is, in my opinion,
defective on this run of filters.
   We have found a replacement filter from Baldwin
that has a burst strength of 600 psi and only a 5 psi
drop in pressure at 12 gpm flow rate.  Why am I
telling you this?
   The reason is to preface the question about oil
filters and MGBs.  Is there a preferred oil filter
manufacturer for our cars?   Granted, our LBCs
don't hold the 100+ psi pressure and 7.5 gpm flow
rates of a big Ferrari but it would be just as
disheartening to blow a filter and seize an engine!
All engines are sacred.  What do you guys use?

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research