Re: ESPN, was: Cat and 9mm (NLBCC

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: ESPN, was: Cat and 9mm (NLBCC
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:31:49 -0500
> > Nah, when we get back to F1, it'll just resurrect the Speedvision vs.
ESPN2
> > vs. Satellite Dish debate..................
>
>    LOL!!!  You know, the F1 US broadcast contract STILL hasn't been
> awarded!  When SpeedVision got it in '98, it was awarded TWO days
> before the first race!  The latest I have heard is that SpeedVision wants
it
> but Bernie thinks that they reach too small of audience.  I'd hate to see
it
> go to back to ESPN.  If you record the races like I do, go back and watch
> a race from '97 when it was on ESPN2.  The announcers could just as
> easily be calling a hockey game.  They didn't have a clue.

If you have the Sports package on DirecTV you'll know that the F1 races
weren't only broadcast on Speedvision... Speedvision was the only one who
had them live though (and the best coverage of course!).  But FOX Sports Net
carried it on different channels, usually immediately following
Speedvision's live coverage.  Then some privateer sports channels (SunShine
Channel, etc) would also broadcast the races... I used to watch the races on
ITN as well, until DirecTV replaced that satdish.

As far as Bernie thinking Speedvision reaches too small an audience, I'm
suspect to think that is part of the reason DirecTV has standardized
Speedvision into lower program packages.

Kai