Re: A am a newbie

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A am a newbie
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:42:24 EST
In a message dated 2/22/01 1:22:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
joe@dimaggiofamily.com writes:

<< Hello Folks,
 I have just purchased my first british car, a '79 MG-B.  The car is in
 very good shape except for the brakes and rear axel. Both rear wheel
 seals leak, the differential pinion seal leaks, and the front brake
 caliper has a leak also.  How  or where can I get a technical manual
 with correct proceedures for replacing the seals and working on the
 brakes. Also, where are good places to purchase parts.

Perhaps you should first become aware of the fact that an LBC doesn't want to
leak, it NEEDS to leak, and if all leaks are solved, it will resort to
developing new and possibly more troublesome leaks.

As for fixing stuff, I get a shop manual and a Moss catalog, although there
are other good dealers out there too (e.g., Jeff Zorn, a cheaper portal for
Moss and other stuff).

There're two schools of thought on wheel cylinders and repair thereof.  Some
say just buy new ones.  I tend to rebuild old ones--cheaper, although they
don't last as long.  The only fix I've done of a caliper is a new caliper.  I
have replaced the differential seal, not too hard.

Others on the list will undoubtedly offer more detailed and more useful
replies, and some will ask you to declare your political leanings to as to
pigeonhole you for future diatribes, which hopefully will be listed "non-lbc"
in the subject box.  But I digress.  Welcome to the wonderful world of
LBC-dom.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT