Re: odd cam shaft wear

To: "Ernest Shirley" <ernestern@hot.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: odd cam shaft wear
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:15:21 -0000
Interesting.  Mine has had similar over the 25k and 11 years I have owned
it.  I have always found it difficult to adjust some of the rockers - I
would set them using 'rule of nine', spin the engine, check them again and
they would be a bit out, I could never get consistent results.  Other
rockers were fine.  It was only recently that I discovered that as I turn
the engine through the 'rule of nine' point for rocker 8 in particular and 7
to some extent, that the gap was still altering.  Therefore unless I stopped
in *exactly* the same place each time I would never get the same result
twice.  The other effect of this is that the gap is *bigger* at some point
in the revolution other than the 'rule of nine' point.  Adjusting for
biggest gap certainly made a difference to the noise.  Maybe this spring I
will measure the 'lift' of each rocker as a guide to cam wear.

PaulH