Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:30:21 -0600
Hello Gang,
   Some have discussed the IRL, CART, Formula 1 and
NASCAR -- all in the same note and then gone on to call
it 'sport.'  It is not sport.  It is staged entertainment to make
money.  End of story.  It puts manufacturer's and sponsor's
names in front of viewers.  Ferrari SpA makes MORE
money on it's name, that is, licensed products, than it makes
on it's cars!
   I follow Formula 1 because I enjoy the complex interaction
of FIA rules, the engineer's quest to stretch those rules to the
limit, the speed, the ability to turn left AND right, the driver
skill, the team tactics, the pit strategy, fuel loads, car setup,
tire pressures, compound choices and selection of 'slicks'
(which are no longer 'slick'), intermediates and wets.  It is a
200mph chess game.  If you don't understand the game, or
want to see 'action' (read: crashes) it is boring.  The limit of
which is the argument that the cars go around and around for
two hours and end up right where they started!  You can
make the same arguments about golf or football or even life
for that matter.  The enjoyment is in the details, not the
generalities.
   And just so I piss everyone off (which seems to be the norm
now),

NASCAR: a demolition derby on tarmac. 180mph into
   the turns, three cars wide while pretending to be something
   that we mortals could buy on the showroom.  I mean, even
   the headlights are stickers!

IRL and CART: Open wheel NASCAR.

World Rally Series: Now THERE's the old world racing that
   everyone 'says' that they want back into all forms of racing.

Vintage racing: Good stuff.

   These are opinions and as such, have no possibility of being
right or wrong.  They also have no value to anyone but me --
but I had to say them.

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research