Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:23:00 +0610
Chris Thompson wrote:

> I just think American abivalence to F1 comes from the fact that most
> people think that auto racing begins and ends at the oval track. No
> offense to Nascar fans, if that flips your switch, more power to ya,
> but it bores me, and pretty much every single person I know, to
> tears.

If it involves something on wheels going fast, I'll generally watch it-
and if I can get to the track to smell, feel and experience it, even
better. But F1 started to bore me a few years ago.  I was even bored
when I got to the track for the final F1 here in Adelaide.  The final
half of the 'race' was just cars spaced quite a few seconds apart, with
little hope of chlenging each other, touring around the track.

Oval track stuff bores me after a while, too - although I have finally
started to understand some of the tactics and dynamics involved.

This is why I turned into a CART series fanatic.  You get open- wheelers
doing BOTH street and oval tracks AND you are getting a variety of
winners with lots of close racing and pit-stop tactics (last year was
fantastic). It was interesting to see Montoya in F1 in Melbourne after
taking out the CART series last year - still coming to grips with it,
too :-)

It helps that I have become involved with the crew of a good driver.
They keep my enthusiasm going even got me up and into the pits on the
Gold Coast here to see him, unexpectedly, WIN!.  Nothing get you
enthused more than INVOLVEMENT.

Eric
'68MGB MkII