Argh! Big rattly problem!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Argh! Big rattly problem!
From: "Scott Beavis" <sbeavis@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:01:08 -0000
I have just s u b'd to the list from home as I'm not at work this week as
travelling into London for a course (what fun!) so Kim ('er indoors) has
been left with the MG ('79 BGT) and been told to not break it because I am
not around to tow her home and fix it etc etc. It seems that whenever she
drives it she manages to make it play up. Ok, I know it is not her driving,
but the moment my back is turned and she goes out it in she comes back
saying "it seems to be steaming a bit" or "there's an odd rattly noise
coming from the engine". When I drive it, it is good as gold.

Anyway, she picked me up from the railway station this evening and I asked
how the car had been. Fine she said. Mmmm...spoke too soon. About another 50
yards up the road there is a "crack" noise from the engine and an AWFUL
shaking rattle coming up the steering column. Oh dear....WHAT NOW??? What
more can go wrong with this car?!?!?! It was only about 1/2 mile to home so
we limped in and then I popped the bonnet expecting to find something nasty
like a rod through the block or the servo wrapped around the steering shaft.
Instead, nothing obvious. Mmm...I wonder if it is *just* the head gasket
blown and making the engine sound awful. After a bit of idling and looking
and pulling things about it seems that the "oil filter side" engine mount
has collapsed. The engine has dropped about 1" and is vibrating against the
steering shaft. The oil filter input is also hitting against the chassis. It
seems that the bracket coming off the timing cover below the alternator has
sheared off, leaving the rubber 'blob' on the chassis and the engine
somewhat unsupported. The other side seems to be still attached, but the
bracket does look cracked. I will try to take a photo and scan it. Both
sides have been like this since we bought the car last year and because they
were the same I assumed that the brackets were supposed to be like that.

Mmm...now what? I'll have to order a new engine mount (I think) or do I need
the bracket? I'll try to remove the broken bit at the weekend and identify
it.

Hate to say it but after all these problems in the few months of owning the
car, I'm beginning to wonder if something more reliable is required instead.
It would be great get something else and make the MG a second car, but
seeing as I have two minis also (and I'm not selling them) the MG must be
reliable or it gets sold.

Scott

PS: Anyone going to the Stoneleigh (UK) show?