DODO update

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DODO update
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:31:04 -0800
Hi guys,

first of all, thanks again to everyone who replied to my original post.
(79MGB total loss of power, misfire on multiple cylinders, no response to
throttle, lots of white smoke).

Well i finally got a free sunday to spend on the car. I was stumped for a
long time:

The timing was spot on.
All sparks fired when removed from the engine.

        - so it's not an ignition problem

Compression was ok (phew - that was my nightmare): 120PSI on all cylinders

        - so the valves and pistons are OK

That kind of only left the carb. I suspect the thing has never been
serviced. We couldn't even get some of the hoses off the thing! Anyway found
the following problems

1. The fast idle pin adjustment was WAY off (probably about a 1/4" gap to
the rim of the cam rather than the 0.025" it's meant to be). Hmmm, get the
lock nut off only to find that the grub screw is messed up (it's lost one
side of the notch). Discover that moss doesn't sell a replacement. discover
that i can still turn in with the aid of WD40 and needle-nose pliers.
Discover that even fully backed up you can't get the 0.025" gap you are
meant to have !@#@%#$%#$@#$ autochoke. Get it as near as possible, bolt it
back down.

2. Have horrible feeling that this can't be responsible for  sudden failure,
though it might be the culprit for the overall poor performance of the
autochoke. Start to disassemble the carb. get distracted by the muck all
over the piston (dust mainly). Clean it up. poor dashpot oil all over
myself. not until piston is back in the carb do i notce the 1" crack along
the rim. Now feel much more secure that i have discovered why the engine is
continually flooding.

realised i'd just saved myself $300 dollars in labour and sat down with the
moss catalogue felling smug.

I'll let you know what happens once the parts arrive.

any advice on the autochoke?

cheers

Joe

Dr. Joseph Garner