Which head for 67 spec?

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which head for 67 spec?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:42:27 -0500
Question for the list...

My 73 is about to get a rebuild to 67 specs. Emissions requirements are
removed here in ohio on cars 25 or older.

I'm replacing the head with an alloy head, but I have a question as to which
to choose.

I know I wont be using the air pump, so the 67 and back head should be fine.
But the newer head, while it has the air rail holes, has a larger intake
valve. Is there a performance reason for that?

I'm looking to do 67 spec, mild cam, pertronix, HIF4 SU's. This will be a
daily driver, not a racer, and I want that elusive quality of "zip".

Also, is an uprated oil pump and pressure relief spring a good idea in a
daily driver like this or are they just relevant in racers?