Re: mgb painting/bodywork/sill repair ?'s

To: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mgb painting/bodywork/sill repair ?'s
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:19:37 -0000
I can't help on the question of amount but I can say I have noticed over
many years even with tin-tops that when jacked  anywhere other than under
the suspension the sound the doors make when closing is different to when it
is on its wheels (or jacked under the suspension), implying that even these
cars flex a little.  If you raised the wheels off the ground when jacking
under the crossmember then I would say the sills are probably fine, although
I note the engine is out.  The engine and gearbox represents about 25% of
the total vehicle weight.

Bubbling in original steel and paintwork *usually* implies it is from the
inside - easily verified by removing the paint and surface rust.  If you are
left with pinholes then it is, if you have shiny metal it isn't.  However
the metal and processes used by BL in the 70s was so poor and/or erratic
that surface rusting was quite possible.  In replaced/repaired/repainted
steel bubbling is as likely to be from the surfcae as from inside, as many
repairers techniques were probably worse than BLs!

PaulH.