Re: Help cure my Spring Fever

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help cure my Spring Fever
From: "Ian.Rutherford" <Ian.Rutherford@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:17:40 +0000
Michael,
             firstly  I would advise against starting your car for
short periods as you will generate condensation in your exhaust etc.
If you cant take the car for a run to get it hot then I would suggest
just turn it over a few times with the ht disconected so it will not
start, however some will say that this will flood the cylinders with
fuel and wash away lubricating oils. A few drops of oil through the
plug holes can resolve this problem when you finnish cranking the
engine over.
Now your ready to start it up, you say the plugs are dry, so you
need to look at your carb and see why fuel is not being pumped
through or drawn into the inlet manifold.  Maybe you have a stuck
needle valve in the carb. Once you get fuel through it helps to warm
the plugs and ht leads in the house to get damp out if you think your
garage is damp. Also an old trick of the trade is to use a pencil and
rub it over the spark gap and along the ground side of the plug down
to the threads, this gives a good contact and has always worked for
me when starting a laidup car, good tip if you dont have the option
of warming the leads or plugs.
Hope this is some food for thought. I'm sure others will have better
ideas about what you should do over the winter when its laid up, its
a dilema I alway have too,
cheers
Ian R
The Damp NE of England.
re
=========================
> Greetings from the great frozen North. The temps here in Minnesota decided
> to pop above freezing and Spring Fever set in. However, after way too much
> time cranking the '79 Midget, with no fire, the fever began to wain. I
> pulled a plug and it was dry as a bone......
Ian.Rutherford@ncl.ac.uk
Tel.0191 222 7790
University of Newcastle,
Computing Service,