Cam Removal and cam timing question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Removal and cam timing question
From: "John DiFede" <JDIFEDE@cablevision.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:19:15 -0500
So..... I am confused!!!!  Is it possible to remove a cam on the B series
engine without removing the oil pan and pump?  I've just changed my cam and my
shop manual indicated that the pan and pump had to be removed.

Last evening I was timing in my new cam and all of my measurements were close
except the valve closing degrees.  The specs for the cam are as follows ;
inlet full opening 110, intake and exhaust 24-64/59-29.  My measurements taken
at the top of the #1 intake and exhaust valve cap were;  inlet full opening
108.5 ; valve timing 24-68/59-42.  The closing degrees for both valves are off
, especially the exhaust valve.  I have the valve clearance set to  .015 cold.

Am I missing something here?  Would the measurements be different with the
engine running?  Possibly flex in the valve train?   Any help or suggestions
would be appreciated.

TIA

John

73 MGB