Help with jackstands.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help with jackstands.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:56:26 -0500
I'm about to FINALLY begin the task of rebuilding and restoring my 73B. As
such I've got a list of questions a mile long. I'll do them in separate
emails, as I've found that this list doesnt seem to respond well to six
questions in one mail :)

I'm going tonight or tomorrow to buy a good floor jack, ramps and
jackstands. Having never owned any of the above, I'd like it if someone
could help me with a quick checklist on their use.

First, can you use four jackstands and bring both ends of the car up, and if
so, is that safe? I worry about the car falling backwards off the
jackstands.

If so, how do you get the car up on four, seems to me that if you lift the
front of the car up onto stands, the bottom will angle down to the point
where you couldnt get a jack underneath.

I'm going to be pulling the engine, and will have a nice large high engine
hoist, but I'd like to know, do I jack up the front or front and back
(assuming that's kosher) during engine removal?

I'll be stripping, painting, sealing, whatever, the bottom of the car in
this process, is there a better way to do that than jackstands and laying on
my back like DaVinci? I've seen plans for chassis rotators that would allow
me to flip the car over, (I think barney has a plan for one) but I've never
seen any info as to where you attach that kind of device to a B.

Also, one last thing. How high is too high? Is more better? last time I
checked I had the choice between 16" max height and 24" max height
jackstands.

Thanks,
-C