Re: Looking at MGB GT

To: dwilsonfl@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Looking at MGB GT
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:57:02 -0500
David,
  The clutch hydraulics in MGB are three parts vulnerable to time and
wear: master cylinder, the rubber hose, and the clutch cylinder.  One or
more of these could be the something "busted".
  It's good practice to replace the hose (brake hoses too) every ten
years or less, and certainly to do so when the clutch cylinder is off.
So where does this leave you...?
  Seems to me that if you are going to buy the car and drive it home
(without a test drive?) you would be wise to take with you a quart of
fluid, a new hose and a new or rebuilt cluch cylinder.  You can swap
clutch cylinder and change hose at the same time in about half an hour,
then fill up the MC with the fluid and hope that it was 1) one of those
items at fault and 2) that you can easily purge the air from the
hydraulics.  Then, when you get the car home, complete the job by
replacing the master cylinder. That's somewhat harder to do, though
certainly something you could manage in his garage if you and he have the
patience.   And, since the brake MC may well be the same age, while
you're at it......    The MGB-GT is a nice car to have. It will be worth
the effort
Bob
'72 MGB-GT

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:27:05 -0600 "David Wilson"
<dwilsonfl@earthlink.net> writes:
> I'm looking at a 74 BGT tomorrow and I need some advice. The PO says
> that
> the clutch used to leak down and he had to pump the clutch pedal up.
> One day
> when getting it ready to be viewed, he apparently pumped it up too
> far and
> "busted something". It now leaks clutch fluid and is apparently not
> driveable. Since I want to purchase it if it looks good, runs good
> etc., and
> have no tow capability, can someone tell me if indeed there is a
> "line" or
> something than could be replaced there, enabling me to drive it
> back? He has
> a new clutch master cylinder but hasn't installed it yet.
>
> TIA,
>
> David - MGB GT wannbe

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list