RE: What is he saying?

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What is he saying?
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:39:49 -0700
Very good James.

I might add, whether, as the result of bump steer the car darts in one
direction or not, the driver may feel the effects of bump steer when the
steering wheel "jerks" when hitting a bump.  On an MGB if the lowering
is accomplished by shorter springs you will feel more jerk when hitting
the same bump.  In the extreme, the car can be uncontrollable.

While one reply to the original question indicates the condition of the
suspension is the reason for bump steer, this is not truly accurate.
The reason is as James explains, and it occurs in varying amounts based
on the relationship of the A arms and the tie rods.  That relationship
is changed by modifying spring heights, and therefore the amount of bump
steer is affected.  Now to CMA I must add, it's likely bump steer will
be noticed more when components wear out, but worn components are not
the reason for bump steer.

Larry Hoy

///