Re: rear axle dilemma

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear axle dilemma
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:40:35 -0800
What kind of wheels are on the car? The wire wheel axle and the steel wheel
axle are different widths. If someone tried to convert just by changing the
rear hubs they would wind up with a different rear track.

Or aftermarket wheels could have the wrong offset.

I have 175R14s on wire wheels on my 66 B and there seems to be plenty of
clearance. But my car sits a little high in the back (well, higher than in
the front) -- there is a good 2 inches vertical distance between the widest
point of the sidewall and the top of the wheel arch. If the car was
significantly saggier in the rear spring department, this distance would be
reduced considerably, in which case the inner lip of the arch would not be
all that far outboard of the tire, possibly close to the 1/2 to 3/4 inch you
describe.

But there shouldn't really be any sideways deflection at the top of the
tire. I think you want to get the rear wheels off the ground (when you get a
chance), and try moving the axle side to side.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///