Re: rear axle dilemma

Subject: Re: rear axle dilemma
From: jmc <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 01 17:00:49 -0800
Another, more expensive option is something called a pan-hard rod (I
think that's what it's called.) My understanding is that it's part of a
racing set-up and centers the axle. By the way, my car has the same
problem. When I tried 185/70s, they rubbed on the left side. I ended up
with the proper size tires and am plenty happy. 165/14s fit fine with
good clearance. I got Vedersteins from British Wire Wheel. (They even
mounted the 185/70s and let me drive around to see if it rubbed.)

Joseph
67 MGB Roadster

>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:20:59 -0800
>From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
>Subject: Re: rear axle dilemma
>
>Well, it appears the factory seldom managed to get it right! When I put
>185-60 x 15 tires on my BGT (on 72-spoke wire wheels), the left side tire
>touched the inside of the fender lip when I went over bumps. I have since
>measured six other GTs and they all have the rear axle offset by 1/2" to the
>left. (Or is it the body offset by 1/2" to the right......?)
>
>Without much careful welding and grinding on the axle housing, it will not
>be easy to center the axle under the body so careful trimming of the fender
>lip seems like the best solution.
>
>Lawrie
>British Sportscar Center

///