Re: Engine compartment

To: RPARKER@csuchico.edu
Subject: Re: Engine compartment
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:38:02 -0500
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:55:04 -0700 "Parker, Richard"
<RPARKER@csuchico.edu> writes:
> Looking for some advice, List:
> I have the engine out of my '62 MGA Mk II for a rebuild and want to
> spruce
> up the engine compartment before putting it back.  I've chiseled
> thirty-nine
> years of grease and dirt from the nooks and crannies, then squirted
> it down
> with degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer.  It's now pretty
> clean,
> with bare metal showing here and there where the original (I think)
> black
> paint is gone.  I'm getting a little bit of thin, surface rusting,
> but I
> expected that would happen.
>
> I'm trying to decide what to do next.  I figured I'd  wipe it all
> down with
> steel wool and either carb cleaner or lacquer thinner, then pain
> with a flat
> black Rustoleum paint.  Does that sound like it'll do the job?
> Anything I
> might do that would either look better or last longer?
> TIA  --Richard

The engine compartment was mostly body color originally.  You might
consider an expoxy primer then and painting it accordingly, especially
since you've done so much work thus far.  As I recall, pretty much just
the bulkhead under the heater shelf and the frame members were originally
black.

If you decide to go with something non-original anyway, I suggest you
pick a light color that will contrast nicely with your body color.  I
used Rustoleum Smoke Grey for the engine compartment and trunk of my
Midget race car.  It looks pretty good against the bright red, and it
makes working under the hood much easier.  The lighter color reflects
light into the engine compartment and makes it much easier to identify
fluid leaks, etc.  On the negative side, for a street car it would make
it more difficult to keep it looking clean.

Good luck!

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD