Re: Splines

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: Splines
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:24:52 -0700
The standard "trick" is to loosen the knock offs a turn and drive the
car in tight circle a few times in both directions.  This is supposed to
apply enough lateral force to break them loose.  I've never been able to
do this 'cause my parts cars have not been running, so I've used a
healthy sized hub puller and an 8 pound hammer to beat them off.  This
destroys the knock off, but is the only way I've found when you can't
drive the car.

All mine turned out to be scrap when I did get them off, and yours most
likely are too, so you might just want to pull the hub off its shaft
with the wheel and haul the whole mess to the scrap yard.

"R. O. Lindsay" wrote:

>    This note begs the question; What is the 'best' way to remove a set of
> spline-fit wire wheels that are 'stuck' on the splines?  Translated, "What
> do you do to remove the wire wheels from an old car that hasn't had the
> wheels off for years?"  Tricks? Tips?

Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list