Re: Distributors...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributors...
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:13:58 -0700
The absolute best thing I ever did was to convert to a mallory dual point and
before I even put it
in I added a uni-lite kit to it.  This is a conversion kit to make the dual
point into an optically
triggered distributor.  The car runs better than it ever has with this set up.
Mallory makes
distributors for older american cars with this optical trigger already in it.
These are called the
Comp 9000 series.  The problem is that they do not make this series of the
distributor for the MGB.
  So I ordered a regular dual point from Moss, then as I said, bought the kit
to convert it. There
are Several advantages to this as compared to one of the other conversion kits
for the stock dist.
One is that you get a new dist.  which means new bushings etc.  The other is
that the Uni-lite kit
is made for mallory dist. by mallory.  And the fit and installation is perfect.
 On the other hand
some of the optical units that are made for the stock dist. seem a little hoaky
to me.  The mallor
website is mrgasket.com.  I don't know of any other place to get the kit.  I
got mine from a VW bug
not rodding place here in Dallas, because the kit is the same for all of the
mallory 4cyl
distributors.

The Mallory dual point looks interesting, and I have seen others use
it.

I have been running both a weber carb and SUs, and have always used the
vacuum advance as that is required. The Mallory comes with vacuum or
mechanical.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list