Re: Darn wheel/tyre argument

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Darn wheel/tyre argument
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 11:03:00 +0000
Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

>   I'd have to ask myself why the guy with the used tires is selling
> them.  Could it be he's opted for smaller wheels?  If so, there's a
> lesson in there somewhere, eh?  The other thing is that you don't know
> what shape the used ones are in internally....

The used tyres aren't really an issue.  I trust the guy selling them.
They come of his Magnette which has 15 inch performance wheels (and is a
very fast Magnette :-)  He also owns and drives the 'B racer which
(driven by my mechanic) won the trophy for the fastest car (all classes)
of the weekend at the recent Australian National Meeting in Canberra
(this is the car with 13 inch wheels - very wide slicks:-)

The Magnette chews tyres quite badly so I am aware that they may just
have one season left in them, especially the way *I* drive - or maybe a
bit more.  He is simply buying new tyres, as he can afford to.  But I
will be getting the old ones quite cheaply and then I can think about
new tyres next season.  The money issue is simply that this year I blew
my budget on my new engine.

The issue revolves around spending $1000 on the new tyres or $600 on the
used tyres (rims cost the same).  If I really do have to mess around
with diff ratios then this will eat into the money saved.  If I have to
buy new tyres next year, then so be it... at least I will make it
through this year and maybe stay on the track more than I am currently.

I just about choked to death on Sunday when I went off into a very dusty
section of infield ;-)  I getting back on the track left me barely able
to see through my tinted visor.  I would love to save myself that drama
too often with bigger, stickier tyres!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia