Re: Darn wheel/tyre argument

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Darn wheel/tyre argument
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 02:53:06 +0000
With apologies to all for the lack of (many) individual replies.  All
your comments have been noted re the physics of my changing to 15" rims
unless I drop the profile of the tyre, etc. etc.

Basically, in the end, I feel I might be happier retaining the 14" rims
and putting the 205/60 sticky tyres on them, but there seems not to be
such a dramatic difference in going to the 15" rims such that it would
beat the dollar advantage.  Really, it seems now that I will be able to
pick up the tyres at virtually half price and an independent source
tells me that they probably have at least one and a half.. maybe two...
seasons left on them (if I use them just for the circuit work).

Because I am rapidly panicking my accountant and have an interstate race
meeting to go to next month, I am going to do the famous 'suck it and
see' test.  I am comitting myself to the bigger rims and
'less-expensive' tyre option for the rest of this season.  It will
literally pay for my attendance at this national meeting and will make
me go faster and safer, even if not as fast as I want to or could
possibly go.

I will revisit the equation next season and if worse comes to worse I
can always go back to me 14" rims and 'street' tyres that have brought
me this far.

So, no more whinging from me (ha, yeah, sure).

I have come to accept that the mods to this car will mean less comfort
on the road, a less-smooth running engine and the odd extraneous noise
and rattle here and there. This was all my choice and is mostly all
bolt-on, bolt-off if I ever get sick of it all.  I still get wacky Lucas
electrical problems and other normal MG hassles that I now just get on
and fix, so I have to accept that I have caused other hassles that I
must also just accept.  If I had a pit crew I could complain to them!

There you have it... I have spoken :-)

Now, let's get on with hearing about the fun y'all are having!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

///