RE: Darn wheel/tyre argument-Reply

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Darn wheel/tyre argument-Reply
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:20:15 +0930
On Monday, May 07, 2001 Eric wrote

>>snip<<
I found myself a set of Datsun rims that seemed to fit the bill and all
was well with the world.
>><<

That seems to answer the question for me! Look no further, IMHO. :-)

>><<
THEN I had an offer of some good condition used tyres of the same
make/model I wanted.  These tyres had approx 70% wear left on them and I
could save myself 30/40% of the price of the new tyres (I will only use
them usually once a month for racing), the only hassle being that they
come off 15 inch rims.  So I hunted down 15 inch rims.
>><<

If 15" rims didn't work for in this application. Why would they work for
you?

>><<
THE ARGUMENT is that I should NOT put 15 inch rims on my car as I will
have to alter diff ratios to get the speed/performance I would get from
the 14 inch rims (extra money and no guarantees).
>><<

My sentiments entirely. When you race 'Quality, competitive racing' is the
aim of the exercise. I'd go with 14" and 'new' tyres for peace of mind and
the option of having a ready market for a sale, if, I wanted to go to 13"
tyres. If I had to change racing classes for some reason.

>><<
Yes, I know the physics behind turning the wider diameter wheel
with the same force, etc., and my 'real' racer mates have 13 inch
wheels!
>><<

I'm curious to know if the seller is looking at 13" or even 14" wheels for
his car when the 15" stuff is unloaded?

IMHO a fast car off the mark will always beat a slow car off the mark even
if this jalopy has a higher top speed. (On our local circuit at Mallalla).
The wheel size could be the competitive difference.

Do you really need to be looking at diff changes and the costs involved with
this on your everyday driver and race car? Surely the diff change would
negate the savings you made on the pre owned tyres.

YMMV,

Scotty,
In a negative mood this morning, so it would seem.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list