Proper Installation of Thermostat Housing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Proper Installation of Thermostat Housing
From: FlynShoot@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:20:36 EDT
I had a weeping at the thermostat gasket. Being a slight perfectionist, I
needed to fix it (oil spots are the only spots allowed on the garage floor).
I used the same procedure that I have used on many cars over many years.

I removed the old housing, removed the old gasket, cleaned all surfaces until
smooth and clean, put a thin bead of Blue permatex on the housing, I put a
small bead of permatex on the block I lined the housing up inserted the bolts
and snugged the bolts down in a crossing pattern.

The stat was fine for two weeks until I found a slight puddle on the block
and saw puddles under the car. The leak was from around the housing. Is there
any secret to sealing British metal? I bought a pack of gasket material to
make some gaskets as I have now gone through all of the thermostat gaskets
that I had in my stash of misc stuff.

Any clues so that I don't make this a monthly event?

Thanx.

DC Smith

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list