Re: Transmission Swap

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: Transmission Swap
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 21:53:00 -0700
Once you have everything detached, the tranny just sitting on your
floor jack, you an pretty much use the puller to raise the engine and
roll the car out from under it.  Open your garage door and roll the car
back out the garage as you pull the engine up.  This sounds pretty
easy, and really is with the right tools.  A tool to adjust the angle
of the engine as you pull it out will help quite a bit.  If you don't
have one, then you can rent/buy one.  Either way it makes the job
nicer.

I have a few pictures of one being used at:

http://lundgren.denver.co.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0004.html
http://lundgren.denver.co.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0005.html

That is my engine and O/D coming out of a '70 parts car prior to
installation in my '70 B.    You can see the tool on the cherry picker
that let me adjust the angle, and you can see that the car was rolled
back to do it.  Picture's worth a 1000 words right!

In later pictures on the 2nd link above you can see the same engine and
tranny prior to re-installation.  Check your compression before you
pull it!

I did all the seals, timing chain and gears, cam, lifters, and clutch
while it was apart.  Turns out I probably should have done my rings as
well...  Oh well, there is still time!

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net