Re: Wooden steering wheel

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wooden steering wheel
From: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:25:21 -0400
I have redone two vintage wheels in the last couple of years. In each case
I have used satin polyurethane with very nice results. I have always felt
like it made the wheels look like they had been oiled. I apply 5-6 coats
with a light sand in between. I then finish with a coat of Butcher's wax.
Carl

At 06:51 PM 5/22/01 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>I did an oil finish on my wheel (which had no trace of varnish left -- it
>looked like a 50-year-old unrestored Chris-Craft). It worked out OK, but on
>cold, damp mornings the oil seems to ooze out to the surface making it feel
>sticky

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list