Re: Wooden steering wheel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wooden steering wheel
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:24:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/01 10:26:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cfrench@cybertours.com writes:

<< have redone two vintage wheels in the last couple of years. In each case
 I have used satin polyurethane with very nice results. I have always felt
 like it made the wheels look like they had been oiled. I apply 5-6 coats
 with a light sand in between. I then finish with a coat of Butcher's wax.
 Carl

I agree on this approach, but let me add one refinement.  From years
refinishing antique furniture--hard and soft wood-- I believe the better
approach instead of sanding is to work with a very fine steelwool, 000 or
0000 grade.  Makes the finish very smooth, and is less likely to take the
finish completely off the high spots, like the finger indentations (do they
have a name?).

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT