Re: Wooden steering wheel

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: Wooden steering wheel
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:29:40 -0500
Carl W French wrote:

> I have redone two vintage wheels in the last couple of years. In each case
> I have used satin polyurethane with very nice results. I have always felt
> like it made the wheels look like they had been oiled. I apply 5-6 coats
> with a light sand in between. I then finish with a coat of Butcher's wax.
> Carl

    Lots of good advice, lots of things to avoid.  Thanks.
    Two nights ago I stripped the original and flaking-off
lacquer (?) from my B-GT's Moto Lita steering wheel and
sanded the wood with 400# sandpaper for a super smooth
finish.  I then vacuumed the wood to pull sanding dust out
of the open grain.  It is surprising how much dust is in the
grain!  The wheel sat overnight, clean and dry.  Yesterday
morning I posted the note starting this thread.
   Last night, I finished the project.  With the clean and dry
wheel in hand, I masked the aluminum spokes completely
and sprayed three coats of eurothane clear coat on the wood.
Some like a glossy finish, some like a matte finish.  For this
car, I chose the glossy.
   This morning, the wheel is cured hard as, well, eurothane
on hardwood!  Tonight, I will polish the aluminum, paint the
hub matte black and reinstall the wheel on the car!
   Thanks for all the ideas, warnings and advice.

Rick
'79 308GTB
'70 B-GT -- with a shiny new <looking> Moto Lita wheel

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list