Re: Engine Oils and Viscosity

To: "DenverD" <DenverD@Texan.dk>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Oils and Viscosity
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:11:41 -0400
I am a fan of regular multiviscosity oils. They work great in my
cars, bikes and 1940 warbird. But there's lot's of opinions
floating around. Here's my take - the thickeners (chain polymers?
that unwind under heat) are additives and not lubricants, so you
should minimize the spread between the high and low numbers
relative to your operating temperature situation.

IMHO, unless you have a hot engine, assuming a normal range
thermostat, one  could be using 15w40 instead of 5w40. Never over
80F? - 10w30 might be OK also.

Now, about synthetics - I know zip.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug