Re: Remade 'what makes a car a 'Classic?']

To: Martin <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Subject: Re: Remade 'what makes a car a 'Classic?']
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:47:57 -0400 (EDT)
Nice try Martin. If you had prefaced your comments, given the same weight
and  the same rolling friction, you might have invented a great empirical
test. What ever happened to inertia? Bill

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Martin wrote:

> Reminds me of a joke. Three scientists were taken to a room with a
> chicken.
> The biologist comes out and stated "its of such and such species". The
> chemist emerges and states "it is of this and such complex hydrocarbons
> compounds".
> The physicist returns and states "first assume it is a sphere".
>
> Aerodynamic force doesn't become significant until around 45-50 MPH.
> So if you drive around town at 45 or less aerodynamics wouldn't matter.
> One way to see the aero effect is to run up to 100 MPH on a level road
> on a still
> day.
> Put the car in neutral and note how long it takes to slow down to 50
> MPH.
> My '93 Buick Roadmaster station wagon takes a long time, much much
> longer
> than my MGBGT. With an SUV it seams like you're putting on the brakes!
> My Buick has no rain gutters and the windshield has a steep slope. It
> gets
> 24-26 MPG running 80 MPH all day. It has a 5.7 Litter engine.
> My MGBGT has a 1.8 litter engine and gets about the same mileage.
> My MGBGT has lots of sharp edges such as rain gutters and
> headkight recesses. Compare a stock MGBGT to the Sebring
> one. They cut off the gutters and put cowls over the headlamps
> to lower the CD and go faster. Buick did the same thing to
> meet its Federally mandated fleet mileage goals.
>
> Richard Lindsay wrote:
>
> > Bill writes,
> >
> > > By the way, you techies out there, does aerodynamic design
> > > actually save on gas and propulsive energy to the point
> > > that it matters in a car not driven faster than 87mph
> > > (139.2kph)?
> >
> > A couple of interesting points before a discussion:
> >
> > (1) At idle, 100% of the engine's <available> power is being
> > used just to overcome the internal friction of the engine.
> > I have always thought that that was cool.
> >
> > (2) At maximum speed, 100% of the engine's <available> power
> > is being used to overcome internal friction, rolling
> > resistance and to overcome aerodynamic drag.
> >
> >    Aerodynamics is a VERY complex subject involving so many
> > variables that it is often studied as an empirical science,
> > hence the continued need for wind tunnels.  Yet, good math
> > exists for realistic calculations.
> >    Coefficient of drag varies with the frontal area of the body
> > but 3-D design shape enters into actual drag.  A tear drop is
> > about the most aerodynamic shape and a flat plate perpendicular
> > to the direction of fluid flow, is about the worst.  Some
> > math:
> >
> > Cd = D / (0.5 * R * V^2 * A)
> >
> > where,
> >
> > Cd is the coefficient of drag
> > D is drag, as measured
> > R is fluid (air) density or about 1.22 kg/m^3
> > V is velocity in m/s
> > A is frontal area
> >
> >    Rearranging, one can solve for drag.  Notice that drag
> [...]

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list