Re: Heater Control

To: Chris Chandler <barak@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Heater Control
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:35:20 -0700
These knobs and controls are a big PITA!  I've replaced  the ones in the
'70 from my parts collection, and they still don't fit right due to the
new dash being too thick under the knob.  I'm clamping them in place
with a couple of big C clamps to see if I can compress the material a
bit.

Here is my plan for the '64, which has both springs missing:  Put a
small piece of dense foam, like the blue foam used in sleeping mats for
camping, and glue it in the notch under the pin where the spring  was on
the shaft.  The pins I had were larger on the bottom, so they wouldn't
fall "up" out of the hole.  Worth a try, and you might put a piece of
thin metal (beer can?)  between the foam and the pin for strength.

Otherwise, it's the used parts vendors for us, and keep in mind the two
controls are different! You may need a new  knob too if the hole is
"spun out" in the knob.

Alternatively, you might be able to JB weld the spring back on if enough
of it is left in one piece.

Let me know if this works for you.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list