Re: steering wheel shake

To: "DenverD" <DenverD@Texan.dk>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel shake
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:38:45 -0600
Is this all the time or just at a certain speed? If its at higher speeds, I
might suspect a tyre or the tyre balance. However, there is also a spring
loaded balance damper that should reduce this vibration. Towards the bottom
of the steering column, right by the radiator and lower radiator hose, is a
cover and shims held by two 5/16" bolts. Remove that and a large round
piece will start to rise out of the hole. Remove that and you will see the
spring and damper on its underside. Check the damper for wear - for a long
time this part was unavailable but is now carried by Moss Motors. Also make
sure the rack has gear oil in it - if you remove this piece, you should see
gear oil in the rack. If not, top it up with 90w gear oil. Check the rack
boots for leaks though - they may need replaced too.

David - A Floridian in Montana
  (who else but a native Floridian, decades gone, to give you cold weather
advice)
67 BGT
72 B

At 04:53 PM 6/24/01 +0200, DenverD wrote:
>and the steering wheel shakes back and forth about one eight inch..
>its not constant, but almost..
>it is easy to hold it steady and if you release the not so tight grip it
>shakes slightly..
>
>it car runs true, that is, the nose is not shaking back and forth as the
>steering wheel goes back and forth..
>
>the steering is sure and positive with good feedback (if the wheel is
>griped enough to cease the shakes)..
>
>diagnosis?
>remedy?
>
>NOTE: The following books were ordered 8 weeks ago, when they get here
>(via SLOW boat to Denmark) i will cease with the unending stream of easy
>questions:
>
>1. MGB Model Years 1962-1974, the Complete Official: Comprising the
>    Official Driver's Handbook, Workshop Manual, Special Tuning Manual
>    Bentley
>
>2. MGB OWNERS WORKSHOP MANUAL 1962 ON
>    Haynes
>
>3. MGB Driver's Handbook: 1965 Edition
>    British Leyland Motors
>
>4. Step-by-step service guide to the MGB
>    Porter
>
>DenverD - A Texan in Denmark
>65B # GHN3L/33680; engine 18V581-H193

///