oil pressure fluctuations

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>, <DenverD@Texan.dk>
Subject: oil pressure fluctuations
From: Konrad Crist <crscapps@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:16:54 -0400
Sounds like your oil pressure fluctuation problem is the oil pressure relief
valve popping on and off. My B does it too. Most people say it's not a
problem to be worried about, though. Changing the valve which is on the
block behind the exhaust manifold is not necessarily easy to get to.

Speaking of oil pressure my 72 B (102,000 miles total; rebuilt at 72,000
miles) runs at 65-70 psi inch hot and 20-25 psi at hot idle. My oil pressure
relief valve likes to pop between 55 and 63 mph - above and below it's fine.
The amount of fluctuation is between 55 & 65 psi. Your "steady" pressure of
45 psi sounds a little low to me, but you are running thinner oil. Perhaps
others can comment on their oil pressure values and what oil they use.

Regards,
Konrad Crist
Wellsville, PA
72 MGB (one owner), 79 Spitfire (son's)