MGA 5-speed conversions (was: 5 Speed - Why?)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA 5-speed conversions (was: 5 Speed - Why?)
From: "Mark Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:42:01 -0700
I found myself in the same position recently.  My MGA is currently being
restored, and the transmission needed rebuilding.  So I got to decide:
rebuild the original transmission or buy the Sierra kit ?  The idea of a
fifth gear for highway cruising was compelling.  I too didn't like pulling
4300 RPM for long periods of time.  The temp would creep up and I could
imagine the accelerated wear on the motor.

I ended up deciding on the rebuild option.  Not only was it somewhat cheaper
(and original), I figured that optimising the transmission for sustained
high-speed driving is probably Not A Good Thing.  Highway driving here
(Silicon Valley) is very fast and dense, and I get tired of being
hyper-aware that any mistake on some SUV's part will literally kill me.
I'll just keep to back roads and drive slower.

On a completely different note, does anyone know of a source for the
original MGA metal oil cooler lines?  At the moment we're looking at
fabricating them from an example off another car, but getting the real thing
would be nicer.

markl

Mark L. Lambert
Principal Architect