Fw: Why a 5 speed ? [long bandwidth] *

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Why a 5 speed ? [long bandwidth] *
From: "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:23:26 -0400
Hi All,  Max, Bill, Dave etc,
The MGB roadster that my friend had was in very good condition,
but I think the transmission was sloppy, I'm sorry.
I'm just a Rookie to this LBC game for sure .
I apologize if I offended any of you Diehard MGB fans, it wasn't
meant that way. I was just stating why "I did what I did" not what
anyone else should do, that's not for 'me' to say.
As I stated in my long bandwidth message/I'm coming into this
wanting to have a 'nice daily driver', my 68 MGBGT will probably
never be seriously shown. I just like driving it .
The way I looked at the T9, 5 speed conversion kit was from a Modern
Reliability aspect not the true nostalgic point of view.
The same with me purchasing new HS6 carbs, the motor is rebuilt
as  new, all the mechanicals are pretty much new, so my daily driver
will be "Reliable". (I still run the stock 25 D4 distributor, but I run with
Pertronics).
Someone already mentioned that they wished I had experience with a
sound 4spd with O/D, well I agree, maybe someday I will.
The T9  5 speeds can be configured to have "your desired gear ratio's".

the T9 I have (the standard box) has these gear ratio's:
5th  0.82:  1
4th  1.    :  1
3rd  1.37:  1
2nd  1.97:  1                      .
1st    3.65:  1
an OEM transmission as listed in Bentleys manual is:
o/d .802 :  1
4th   1.     :  1
3rd   1.3736: 1
2nd   2.214 :  1
1st    3.636 :  1
an OEM close ratio transmission is listed as :
o/d  .802  :  1
4th   1.     :  1
3rd   1.268 :  1
2nd   1.62   :  1
1st    2.450  :  1
Is there a way (by casing #'s) to tell if you have a close ratio box ?

Dan
68 MGBGT